Université de Montréal researchers are available to speak with journalists reporting on the recent events in France, the issues involved and the outlook.
The university is the French-speaking world's largest comprehensive university and a large proportion of its community is from France.
- Valérie Amiraux Professor - Department of Sociology | Canada Research Chair for Religious and Ethnic Diversity Expertise: Radicalisation, Muslims in Europe, Islamophobia. Languages: English, French, Italian valerie.amiraux(at)umontreal.ca | 514-343-6111 #3768 | 514-343-7233
- Jocelyn Coulon Director of the Peace Operations Research Network Expertise: Context and outcomes of the terrorist acts Languages: French only. j.coulon(at)umontreal.ca | 514-951-0431 (cell)
- Marc-Antoine Dilhac Professor– Department of Philopsophy | Canada Research Chair for Public Ethics and Political Theory Expertise: Notions of tolerance, fundamental freedoms (freedom of conscience, expression and the press), secularism, multiculturalism and democracy. Languages: French only marc-antoine.dilhac(at)umontreal.ca | 514-343-6111 #2904
- Solange Lefebvre Professor – Faculty of Theology and Religious Sciences | Chair of Religion, Culture and Society Expertise: Religion in public space, religion and politics, secularism and secularisation Languages: English and French solange.lefebvre(at)umontreal.ca | 514-343-5717
- Samir Saul Professor – Faculty of Arts and Science, Department of History Expertise : France, the Arab world and international relations, Imperialisation, colonisation and decolonisation Languages: English and French samir.saul(at)umontreal.ca | 514-343-6111 poste 27128 | FR-ANG
- Alain Saulnier Visiting Professor – Department of Communication Expertise: Information and Democracy, Media Languages: English and French email@example.com | 514-343-6111 #0806
- Pierre Trudel Professor– Faculty of Law | L.R. Wilson Chair for IT and Electronic Trade Law Expertise: Freedom of expression and its boundaries, media and cyberspace laws, legal and non-legal techniques for limiting the freedom of expression, ethics in journalism, on the Internet and in social media. Languages: English and French pierre.trudel(at)umontreal.ca | 514-343-6263
- Marie-Joëlle Zahar Professor, Deparment of Political Science | Scientific Director of the Peace Operations Research Network | Member of the United Nations Mediation Support Unit Expertise : Peace and Security, Middle East, Peace Consolidation Languages: English, French and Arabic marie-joelle.zahar(at)umontreal.ca| 514 343-6111, ext 20325
Community support event
Following last week's terrorist attacks and thanks to the initiative of our students, Université de Montréal will commemorate the memory of the victims as a sign of solidarity with all peoples who have suffered these inhuman acts of violence. Students and employees are invited to assemble in the Grand Courtyard of Roger-Gaudry (main) Pavilion at 12.15 pm on Wednesday, November 18.
Western democracies are currently facing a number of threats to their existence. Finding an appropriate response to terrorism is one of these challenges. As part of a regular public conference series that brings together international experts to discuss current issues, an event entitled Les défis de la démocratie will be taking place on November 19 at 6 pm at the Roger Gaudry Pavilion. Media must register. For more information:cdlm.umontreal.ca
This conference is organized by Université de Montréal in collaboration with the university's Canada Research Chair for Public Ethics and Political Theory.